Let's talk about..... - Strana 9
Strana 9 od 9 PrvaPrva ... 789
Prikaz rezultata 121 do 127 od ukupno 127

Odgovor: Let's talk about.....

Its good, assistant is here for all our issues and problems!
    So, we can enjoy
    Mnoge mrzimo bez ikakvih razloga, a da ih zavolimo, tražimo čvrste razloge!

The following text was taken from 'The Washington Post'. I hope you all enjoy it, and take some time to ponder on its point.

"A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule. A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk. A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk at their normal pace. He collected $32.

When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million. Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story.

Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"
    I've gone to listen to my violins.
    Isn't it funny how day by day, nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different?
    C. S. Lewis

Saint Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick's Day (Irish: L Fhile Pdraig) is a yearly holiday celebrated on 17 March. It is named after Saint Patrick (circa AD 387461), the most commonly recognized of the patron saints of Ireland. It began as a purely Christian holiday and became an official feast day in the early 1600s. However, it has gradually become more of a secular celebration of Ireland's culture.

It is a public holiday on the island of Ireland; including Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, as well as in Newfoundland and Labrador and in Montserrat. It is also widely celebrated by the Irish diaspora, especially in places such as Great Britain, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, and Montserrat, among others.

Saint Patrick

Little is known of Patrick's early life, though we know he was born in Roman Britain in the fifth century, into a wealthy Romano-British family. His father was a deacon in the Church, like his father before him. At the age of sixteen, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken captive to Ireland as a slave.[1] It is believed he was held somewhere on the west coast of Ireland, possibly Mayo, but the exact location is unknown. According to his Confession, he was told by God in a dream to flee from captivity to the coast, where he would board a ship and return to Britain. Upon returning, he quickly joined the Church in Auxerre in Gaul and studied to be a priest.

In 432, he again says that he was called back to Ireland, though as a bishop, to save the Irish, and indeed he was successful at this, focusing on converting royalty and aristocracy as well as the poor. Irish folklore tells that one of his teaching methods included using the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) to the Irish people. After nearly thirty years of teaching and spreading God's word he died on 17 March, 461 AD, and was buried at Downpatrick, so tradition says. Although there were other more successful missions to Ireland from Rome, Patrick endured as the principal champion of Irish Christianity and is held in esteem in the Irish Church.

Wearing of green

According to legend, Saint Patrick used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish people.

The Shamrock

Originally the colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. However, over the years the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's day grew. Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century.He is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish, and the wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the day. Then in the 1798 rebellion in hopes of making a political statement Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17 March in hopes of catching attention with their unusual fashion gimmick. The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from the song of the same name.

History in Ireland

It is believed that Saint Patrick's Day has been celebrated in Ireland since before the 1600s. It was also believed to have served as a one-day break during Lent, the forty day period of fasting. This would involve drinking alcohol; something which became a tradition. Saint Patrick's feast day was finally placed on the universal liturgical calendar in the Catholic Church due to the influence of the Waterford-born Franciscan scholar Luke Wadding in the early 1600s. Saint Patrick's Day thus became a holy day of obligation for Roman Catholics in Ireland.

Customs today

Today, Saint Patrick's Day is widely celebrated in America by Irish and non-Irish alike. Many people, regardless of ethnic background, wear green-coloured clothing and items. Traditionally, those who are caught not wearing green are pinched affectionately.

Wikipedia
    Isn't it funny how day by day, nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different?
    C. S. Lewis

Writers and editors no longer have to feel guilty for using words like "retweet" and "sexting" in earnest. The Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially enter these words into English lexicon.

Celebrating 100 years of the dictionary, Oxford University Press editor Angus Stevenson wrote a blog post Thursday, "This month heralds the publication of the centenary edition: the new 12th edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary contains some 400 new entries, including cyberbullying, domestic goddess, gastric band, sexting, slow food, and textspeak. These additions are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

Here are some of the new words defined...

mankini: n. (pl. mankinis) a brief one-piece bathing garment for men, with a T-back.

jeggings: pl. n. tight-fitting stretch trousers for women, styled to resemble a pair of denim jeans.

upcycle: v. reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of higher quality or value than the original.

retweet: v. (on the social networking service Twitter) repost or forward (a message posted by another user). n. a reposted or forwarded message on Twitter.

sexting: n. informal the sending of sexually explicit photographs or messages via mobile phone.

Now put some jeggings over your upcycled mankini before I get the urge to retweet what you were sexting me last night.
    ... Ko nije drvo razumeo prvo, pa tek onda sadio, taj nije ništa uradio... I, shvatiće, kad-tad, da ne zna šta je hlad....

sta je ovo ? pamtim vremena kada su mi brisali postove zbog jedne recenice na engleskom jerbo na
    ovom sajtu se pise srpsko hrvatski i nikako drugacije !!! bullshit najobicniji .

demokratske promene. nema vise stranih placenika i domacih izdajnika ako ako.....
    Poruku je izmenio rusty nail, 19.08.2011 u 22:18
    worst day of fishing is better than excellent day at work

Every time I am not sure what the thread I am reading is exactly about, I go to the first post and read it. To save you some time, here it is:

Citat Mish kaže: Pogledaj poruku
    Ideja ove teme je da malo vežbamo. Ovde se piše isključivo na engleskom. Pišete o čemu god želite, naravno podstičući diskusiju. Svi mogu u tome da pogreše i upravo i jeste cilj da bez ustezanja pišete, a drugi članovi će vam dobronamerno ukazati na eventualne greške (trudeći se da i postove u kojima ukazuju na greške pišu na engleskom). Svi pišemo, svi pažljivo čitamo, svi ispravljamo jedni druge i tako zajedno učimo. Može?

Well, I will start first.
    Today is my sister birthday party. I prepare a gift for her, CD of Duo Moderato. I don't plan to stay late becouse I must go to work tommorow.

What's your plan for today?

My plan for today is to do some shopping. Hopefully, I will be able to find a swimming suit that actually fits.

Only 2 weeks left until the holiday
    C. S. Lewis

forgot to tell you that they have a pool at the school

Strana 9 od 9 PrvaPrva ... 789

Tagovi za ovu temu

Vaš status

• Ne možete pokrenuti novu temu.
  • Ne možete poslati odgovor.
  • Ne možete dodati priloge
  • Ne možete prepraviti svoje poruke
  •